Friday, April 24, 2009

Picnic at the Park



We went up to Sheridan (where Daniel works) today and had a picnic at the park.

The weather is so nice here today...80 degrees!

Sadie was filthy by the time lunch was over. We had actually gone to the grocery store on the way up to Sheridan to pick up some things for lunch. I gave Sadie one of the free chocolate chip cookies they had in the store (actually it was only a half), and that was a last (at least until she's a little older). At first she was just chewing on the edge quietly, then I looked down and the cookie was completely gone! She had shoved the whole thing in her mouth (I guess she likes chocolate chip cookies!). Her eyes were big, and she had cookie tainted slober coming out both sides of her mouth, on her hands, running down her jacket, and wiped all over her sleeves and the cart. Since she wasn't choking and seemed to be handling her cookie stuffed self quite well, we ran over to the baby aisle and grabbed the cheapest package of wipes they had and cleaned her, me, and the shopping cart all up. Then when we got to the park, she was more interested in playing in the dirt that was on the pavilion floor then eating. So between chocolate chip cookie and park dirt, she is in need of a bath!

When we finished eating, Sadie played on the playground for a few minutes before we left.

We had our favorite pimento cheese sandwiches for our picnic. As we were eating them, we were saying...man, everyone should know about these pimento cheese sandwiches! I can at least share them on the blog. They are REALLY good! Now I need to just figure out how to cut the calories on them a bit! Oh, and if you live in our area and shop at Kroger, the jarred pimentos are found in the specialty food aisle...huh? I know, I don't get it either, but whatever! There was only one jar basically to choose from, and that jar was "sliced" pimentos instead of diced. I even had a Kroger employee helping me find them, and that was the only jar we found. Frustrating. Anyway, here's the recipe:


Three Cheese Pimento Cheese
(this is from an old Southern Living I have)

8 oz package of cream cheese
1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
1 (5-oz.) jar pimiento cheese spread
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1. Microwave cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Stir in diced pimiento and next 6 ingredients.

2. Stir in Cheddar cheese. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 4 hours. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 4 days.

If you make this, enjoy! Hope everyone had a wonderful week and has a great weekend!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I bet Sadie was so cute covered in chocolate and dirt! I can just picture her cute little cheeks all full of cookie. :)

The pimento cheese recipe sounds delicious. I've always wanted to make it, but I never had a good recipe. I can't wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!