Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lake of the Ozarks

Daniel had a conference at Tan-Tar-A on the Lake of the Ozarks last week, and Sadie and I happily accompanied him. Tan-Tar-A is a fun, family-friendly resort with lots of things to do and lots of hallways to walk and stairs to climb (Sadie LOVED this place!). We played on the playground, swam in the pool, went for a boat ride, drove around and saw some quite fabulous homes and houseboats, and did a lot of relaxing. Daniel came down with whatever I had had the week before (that's what he gets for kissing a sickie! joking!). So we were a little lower key than intended, but it was nice to get away.


These are practically the only two pictures we took, capturing Sadie's first boat ride (I think....my brain is dead, and I can't remember if she's ridden on a boat before...bad mom, I know!).






The boat showed us around PART of the lake and some of the pretty homes and places flanking the lake. The Lake of the Ozarks is really a huge lake (built by a power company in the 30's), measuring 1200 miles of shoreline....that's how far it is from our house in Indiana to my parents house in Texas. So we literally only saw a very small portion of the lake by boat. We later took a little road trip around to another part of the lake and saw some gorgeous properties (with VERY steep driveways...mercy!). Another thing I found somewhat interesting were the sizes of boats on this lake. Every boat we saw was a houseboat. Daniel inquired at work about this, and basically monkey see, monkey do. People probably started getting big boats at some point because they're cool (and they are!) and then the little men (or boats) had to upsize so as not to get overpowered by the waves while on the lake. It was really very interesting and fun to look at all the big boats. A little different from Daniel's days growing up at Possum Kingdom and Lake Texoma and my days close to Lake Belton! ha!


Here's a picture I snapped on the way down. Can you guess what kind of car this license plate was on?



That's right, a hearse! Get it?.....last ride? Too funny!

3 comments:

Amber said...

That is funny! We have a funeral director that lives in our neighborhood and the license plate on his hearse says "RU NXT"

Amber said...

That is funny! We have a funeral director that lives in our neighborhood and the license plate on his hearse says "RU NXT"

Julie said...

Is it possible that Sadie gets more and more lovely each day?