Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hummus, eggs, and vermicelli

Sadie's been eating alot of hummus this week for snacks and lunch.



When we tried it before, she wasn't that into it. She really likes it now. Can you tell? I don't know if you can see in the pictures that it is all in her hair and on her arms, head, dress, etc. and all over the high chair tray.




This is her "squinting because I'm trying to not smile at you" face.



These pictures are actually from dinner last night. She had hummus because she had had a bigger lunch at Chic-Fil-A with our playgroup, and Daniel and I were having this.....




Eggs and vermicelli with fresh homemade salsa! Yum! This is definitely not an Indiana type meal....so hopefully I won't gross anyone out. Trust me, it is GOOD! I didn't grow up with this either, but Daniel did. Some of their ranch hands that were from Mexico would make this. So I guess it is a Mexican dish? I don't really know, but I think it is great, and I crave it.



Here's a rundown of how to make it, because I know my sister was asking about it. It is actually quite a frugal dish to make, it consists of ingredients that we always have on hand, and it's QUICK! Bonus!



What you need:

onion

oil (we use Canola oil)

vermicelli (last night we used whole grain thin spaghetti cause that's what we had)

canned tomatoes

water or broth

seasonings

egg (and butter to fry the egg)



Saute some onion in oil in a deep skillet. After starting the onions, break up some vermicelli into the pan and brown the vermicelli with the sauteing onions. When the vermicelli appears browned and the onion is translucent, add a can of tomatoes (we used Rotel last night, but any can of diced tomatoes would do) and some liquid (water, chicken broth, etc.) to cook the pasta. We add a little liquid at first to cover the pasta and generally have to add more as the pasta cooks. You can season it with a little chilli powder, garlic salt, black pepper, or whatever seasonings you choose to give it flavor. If you use chicken broth, you don't really have to add any salt/garlic salt. While the pasta is cooking, fry up a couple of eggs in butter (or whatever you want...we used lowfat margarine last night and it worked fine) with salt and pepper, and serve the egg on top of the cooked vermicelli. Yummy! Last night we had the ingredients for fresh salsa on hand. So Daniel whipped that up while the vermicelli was cooking. It's good with or without salsa on top though.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Interesting concoction...we'll have to try it! I love things that are fast and easy! Sadie is getting so big! It looks like she is a good eater! Yay!! Hope you guys have a great weekend!