Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Update on single momhood

Soooo....you know how I had everything ready to go last night for this morning, including shovelling the driveway? Well, that doesn't help much when we get 8.5" of snow (that was the total at 8:30 this morning when it was still really snowing)! First off, it normally wouldn't matter on a normal workday. If the weather is bad, I can be late, especially if I need to take Sadie to daycare. However, this morning I HAD to be at work on time (by 8:30) because part of our stormwater program was being audited by the State.


I didn't sleep well last night because I was anxious about getting to work on time this morning. We were only supposed to get MAYBE about 5 inches of snow accumulation between yesterday and today. When I got up at 5:00 this morning (very briefly), it didn't sound like it had snowed overly eccessive at that point (at least not in my half-asleep state). So I slept until 5:30 and assessed the situation then. The news at that point made it seem like things weren't too bad. In fact, they said...the roads are driveable but leave early to get where you need to be. I had no missed calls on my phone. Which means work was on and the audit was on. So by 5:50, I started getting myself ready. Once I was completely ready and the car was packed, I woke Sadie up, got her ready and bottle fed and in the car by 6:50. As I opened the garage, I thought....hmmm, maybe I should shovel the driveway, though I didn't really realize at that point how much snow we had actually had (the news said 9" in Indy, but we were supposed to have considerably less up here on the north side). Well, needless to say, it was already late and I was getting more and more nervous about how long it was going to take me. So I thought I better just go. Bad idea! I got stuck at the bottom of the driveway, in the middle of the road. The road had not been plowed (that's an entire different rant!), and I was completely stuck....couldn't go backward or forward. Sooooo....I opened the garage door back up and got the snow shovel out. I tried my hand at digging myself out for about 15 minutes before I was frustrated and in tears and had to call Daniel. He stayed on the phone with me (on speaker phone in my coat pocket) for the next 30 minutes while I dug, griped, got in the car to try again, and then dug and griped some more. At one point I saw the hope of a snow plow coming. So I tried to get out of the road as much as possible and as quickly as possible. The snow plow gets almost to our house and then turns around and goes back the other direction....WHAT???? I was so upset. So I proceeded to shovel the road in front of our driveway so that I may be able to get going and at least make it a couple of houses down to the plowed road. FINALLY...I get going in the road!!! Woo! Hoo!!! I left the snow shovel where I threw it (halfway in the road) and just keep going......I don't want to stop now! I get to the plowed part and it's smooth sailing. I did get stuck again trying to get out of our subdivision on to a main road, but that didn't last long. It is now almost 7:30. So I called one of my coworkers to let him know what was up and that I could either bring Sadie with me to City Hall or it might be another 1.5 hours before I get to work. We discuss. As I'm talking to him, he gets an email from the State employee that was going to be auditing us. The audit for today is cancelled, to be rescheduled.....this AFTER I have spent 40 minutes getting out of my subdivision!!! So I keep on my path and decide to just take Sadie to daycare and go in to work, because I probably will get stuck in my driveway if I go back anyway. I called Daniel to give him an update, and as I'm on the phone with him, Ms. Jane calls. All the other kids have cancelled for today. Then the reality of the situation sets in. It's almost 7:45, Sadie is going to need breakfast soon (or right away!), and I've only made it about 3 miles in 20 minutes. So Daniel and I decide that I better just go back home. Hopefully by the time I get back to the house, the road in front of our driveway will be plowed. So I turn around and head home again. I get to the house, AND the road in front of our house is NOT plowed. I don't understand why the snow plow went to ALMOST our house, and then turned around. So I get stuck AGAIN trying to turn into the driveway. Sadie has fallen asleep by this point. So I dig the car out and shovel enough of the driveway for me to pull my car up. I didn't think I would make it into the garage, but slowly I made it all the way up the driveway and creep into the garage. Woo! Hoo!!! Needless to say, this is where we're staying now. The road in front of our house has still not been plowed....strange deal. There are tracks on it though now. So if need be (an emergency), we MAY be able to get out.


No, my office is not closed. So yes, I will be taking a vacation day today. I mean snowed in at my house in the middle of Indiana is KINDA like being on vacation on a beach with a lovely tan in Cancun sipping a Banana Monkey, right?


Yes, I'm complaining and being a drama queen!!! ;) So sorry, if someone actually read all of this (Mom), for my vent!!! Things will be better when Daniel gets home. I just know it!!! ....or maybe they'll be better when Spring comes!!!!


Here are some pics.




the trash cans I put out yesterday evening:

So it's just me and this cuddly little thing today :) yea!:

2 comments:

Life of Preston said...

I am so sorry your day started out so awful! I have had days like that (well, maybe not the snow issues) and it's just seems like one things after another!!!

Hope you guys had a good day once you got all snuggled inside!

Amber said...

Awe hugs to Sadie and her Mommy too! I have had many days like that and all I want to do is crawl back in bed. Glad you were able to! Miss you guys!