Monday, November 24, 2008

What to do...

Situation….Sadie now spits her food everywhere. She has spit before while eating, but it would be like once in a single feeding, and then she would keep eating. This weekend she decided to spit every time she ate and the entire feeding AND everything in her mouth. How is she supposed to get enough nutrition like this???? It is not because she disliked her food either, because she did it at every meal, and I KNOW my girl likes her apples and prunes!


Daniel and I have different “jobs” when it comes to Sadie. Feeding Sadie her meals is pretty much my job, mostly because I’m OCD and do not like the messes that Sadie and her daddy make together. :) Plus I really enjoy feeding her, or at least I did! I think I changed clothes twice yesterday and had to clean my glasses every time. I told Daniel last night that I was going to have to gear up tonight in a trash bag and some goggles before feeding her. ha!


So my question is: do you discipline an 8 month old baby (when I say discipline, I mean that in the lightest sense of the word...as in telling her no)? And if you are supposed to, then is food spitting something to be disciplined for? I mean she’s just learning that she can do things and get a reaction, right? I did try to use a stern (kinda) voice and tell Sadie, “No, we do not spit our food. Food is for eating. We don’t play with our food. Mealtimes are not for playing. It isn’t funny.” Over and over as I catch Daniel in my peripheral vision laughing in the living room. So much for my disciplining! :)


It isn’t all bad though. She smiles really proudly every time she does it, and THAT is funny!!!!

1 comment:

Mamaw said...

She has just learned a new trick and as soon as she realizes that by spitting her food out, she doesn't get as much, she will stop. And of course, the more you react to it, the more she will do it. It's a good thing Daniel is in the living room! So, no discipline for my granddaughter for this. Besides, how can you fuss when she smiles her sweet smile?