Labor Day weekend my mom asked if we would be interested in meeting up somewhere halfway between here and Texas to spend the weekend together (mostly so she could see Sadie, I accept that! ;)). She was enticing us by offering to bring her old baby bassinet for us to use when the baby comes AND an antique armoire turned t.v. cabinet for us to have. Daniel and I decided to take her up on her offer and so did my grandma, Jean Jean. We decided on Memphis this time since we haven't really spent much time there exploring that area. So off we went on Friday afternoon and just happen to get to the hotel in Memphis only a few minutes before my mom and grandma....perfect timing!
Saturday morning we decided to head to the zoo. In looking up where it was and such, we learned that it is among the top zoos in the U.S. Sweet! And it was! It is such a beautifully designed and maintained zoo. I've accepted the fact recently (with three zoo visits in 1.5 years) that I am just not a zoo person. THIS zoo however made me rethink that. They even had an iPhone app with live maps and schedules of each exhibit telling you when the next feedings were. We were impressed to say the least!
One of our favorite parts of the zoo were the first animals we visited...the monkeys! They had so many different monkeys. Sadie was in awe.
This chimpanzee (I think that's what it was) was putting on quite the show for us, swinging all over the place. We watched this guy forever.
I have a TON of pictures of Sadie just like this.....
She was pretty taken with all the monkeys and just watched every one of them.
Probably because she's a bit of a monkey herself!
They had a ton of other animals too....lots of birds, elk, wolves, brown bears, panda bears, elephants, hippos, dolphins, penguins, giraffes....
and lots of cats. This was an interesting tiger that they had that I had never heard of before:
It's a white tiger. Below is the description:
"White tigers are simply Bengal tigers that have white fur with chocolate colored stripes, blue eyes, and pink noses. They are not albinos but a color mutation. Wild white tigers are very rare. Less than a dozen have been seen in the past 100 years. Captive white tigers in North America can be traced to one white male, known as Mohan. Because all of these tigers come from one male, they are all related. Therefore, breeding tigers to make them white is risky and can result in birth defects or possibly death. The Memphis Zoo has no plans to breed our white tiger."
Interesting, huh?
Of course Sadie loved the carousel, and I was happy Mamaw wanted to ride it with her, because I was getting worn out by this point.
Sunday we decided to ride the trolley downtown and see some sights.
Waiting on the trolley....
Sadie kept calling the trolley a choo choo train, but she loved it. She didn't take note of the signs posted everywhere that said, "Keep hands and heads inside the trolley"....maybe she just didn't see them.
After our tour of downtown, we found a nice park by the Mississippi River and ran around a bit...
and had a picnic....
Daniel and I even got to eat out, by ourselves, downtown on Sunday night! What a treat! Thanks Mom and Jean Jean! Sadie enjoyed swimming in the hotel pool both afternoons, and we all took naps and spent alot of time visiting and relaxing. It was such a wonderful weekend, better than we expected, not really knowing much about Memphis. We will definitely be going back to do some of the other things we saw around the city while we were there.
No comments:
Post a Comment