Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thoughts on Mother's Day

I have had an absolutely beautiful Mother's Day weekend. Not because the weather was perfect, it was not. Not because I got to see my own mother, I did not. Not because I didn't have to do any motherly duties or work all day today, because I did.

It was a beautiful Mother's Day weekend mostly because I have Sadie and Daniel in my life, and they just put the cherry on top of any special day for me, but it was beautiful also because I enjoyed watching all those around me taking part in this wonderful holiday and reflecting on the significance of mothers in our lives.


I honestly LOVE Mother's Day, and it's not just because I'm a mother, though that helps put things in perspective! I love seeing fathers shopping by themselves with young kids for something special. I love seeing mothers out enjoying some peaceful time to themselves. I love seeing all the people out at restaurants, obviously treating grandmothers and great grandmothers to special dinners. I love hearing the wonderful reflections during church concerning the importance of mothers. I love all the wonderful people telling other women (who are not their mothers) "Happy Mother's Day!", and I love hearing it myself from family, friends, and even strangers. What a wonderful reminder of the incredible job God has entrusted us with.



I went to get my nails done yesterday (courtesy of a very wonderful guy and very sweet little girl!), and as I sat waiting for my appointment, I watched one man after another come into the salon and buy gift cards. Some were older men, some were men carrying babies or guiding toddlers, and there was even one that had four very cute girls with him (whom I assume to be daughters because the whole family looked identical and all had an opinion on some extras they were wanting to get Mom from the salon). At some point, I heard one of the ladies working the front desk say that they had actually run out of gift certificates to write on and were just printing up receipts and wrapping them in gift bags. While yes, you can do so many other things for a mother, it was just fun to watch the parade of men in the door, all basically on the same mission....a present for a mother.



To me Mother's Day is so unlike any other holiday, and TOTALLY different from Father's Day. It is one of the few holidays everyone seems to really enjoy themselves. Have you noticed that? Not as many people are concerned with entertaining a slew of guests. Everyone seems to be intent on showing some type of appreciation to their mothers or wives. In return, it is probably the one day of the year you can actually sense relaxation in the air and can notice mothers' minds clearing. Like I said before, I did have motherly duties to do today....of course I did....like most moms, but there is something I noticed today in some of my friends. It seems like mothers actually emotionally relax on Mother's Day. Am I the only one who has witnessed this? I guess it's the thought that you don't have to do everything around the house and take care of the baby and kids and husband that day...you can if you want to, but you don't have to do it all. On top of that, you feel a sense of appreciation and admiration from your spouses, kids, and others in your life. And really what greater job is there in this world than being a mother? That realization alone can make one have a pretty darn beautiful day!


So happy Mother's Day from Daniel, Sadie, and I to my mom, Daniel's mom,
and all the other wonderful and strong mothers out there! We love you and respect all that you have done for us and for your own children and all that you continue to do! May God bless you abundantly as you do HIS work.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Great post Amanda! What great perspective on the day. I agree...it does feel like a less stressful, more peaceful day and it is fun to see kids and Dads going to the extra effort to make it special for Mom. Hope you had a blessed day. Happy Mother's Day!

Cecilia said...

Beautifully written Amanda and I totally agree. I want to just link to this post from my post because I totally feel the same way. Thanks for writing this and a Happy Mothers Day to you!

Mamaw said...

That is a beautiful picture of you and Sadie! I love it1